Basically I'm going to tell what I will be doing in the next few years ahead.
Firstly, I'm leaving IBM on the end of the first semester of 2013, leaving me some time to finish stuff and start preparing myself for the trip.
It will be a lot of exercising and less eating (not that I'm fat, but I will have to get as thin as I can and see how much time I can survive with minimum food). I will be studying fauna and flora and some historical facts from the countries all over South America. Get some training on protecting myself (body and mind).
It will be next to the end of 2013, I will backpack through South America. It will be probably me, my camera that I will buy (a really good one) and my huge-ass backpack.
Refer to this map now: www.mapsharing.org/MS-maps/map…
Right now, the closest place to me is São Paulo (southeast), I will start going south first, passing through three Brazilian states (south region, the best one) and finally reach Uruguay where I imagine I will spend a little time since I still do not have much information for it (just the best meat on Earth!). Next I would go to Argentina, Buenos Aires, there I would spend a good time since I want to get into
a lot of museums and lectures, and stuff. Then go south of Argentina, it will be the roughest part I believe since it's a desert, the driest on Earth. I will try to reach the bottom of South America. Less details now, after reaching "Rio Gallegos" (hey, it has my second name!) I would starting going back, NOT home, but north again, straight to Chile.
Then it would be Chile > Paraguay > Bolivia > Peru (Macchu Picchu!) > Ecuador.
Not going to Colombia, it's really dangerous in there. This is the final steps of my journey, I would start going back to Brazil from the North to Northeast and starting going South until I reach my city. Ta-da! (if you didn't get something, tell me and I will explain).
- I will study a lot and have every essential thing on my backpack.
- I probably won't be alone all the time, there are LOTS of people who do that, and MAYBE a friend of mine will go.
- It will last 1 year and 6 months to two years, I don't want more or less than that.
- My Spanish is poor, but since Portuguese is really close to it, I won't have much trouble learning it.
- I will have a really good camera with me all the time, so expect some amazing pictures in the future! (If I'm not robbed)
- It will be mostly on foot and taking lifts, sometimes I imagine I will have to spend days in the wild, getting food out of it and enjoying life as it could have been in the past.
- I will try NOT to die, but my chances have never been so high.
- I will be sleeping in hostels all across the continent, meeting every kind of people.
- I got a nice quantity of money, but I have no problem in working in a place for a month or so just to pay off debts and go on with my trip.
Not at all, I can't remember the first time I said I would go into the wild, but it has always been in my veins and I feel that now is the right time to do it. If people say that I'm wasting my time doing it, they are just ignorant, I don't know how I will get my parents to understand it (I will tell them like 5 months before I go) but all I want in my life is this trip.
In my daily life, I have no wish for new stuff, I don't remember the last time I bought something that was not food. I just want to grab the most of what life can offer, and understand it, understand myself, feel the essence of life.
Watch "Into the Wild" and you will have an image of what I will be doing, of course mine will be much more dangerous.